Barrie: (705) 727-4242

Newmarket: (289) 319-0634

Questions & Answers

Teenagers leaving home

A 14 year old claims emotional and physical abuse by parents. Can that child choose to live with relatives?

— Monic R.


Hi, Children over the age of 12 have a lot of input as to where they will leave but ultimately it is up to the parents to decide. Failing agreement a court can be asked to decide. The judge will certainly take the 14 year old child's views into consideration when deciding. At court, the judge must decide based on the best interests of the child. An important factor considered is the child's point of view if the child is older and appropriately mature for their age. I hope this is helpful.

Associations & Awards

Collaborative Practice Best of Barrie Top Rated Reviews on Google